BLS Instructor Course
How the BLS Instructor Essentials Course works
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is taught in a blended-learning format. To become an AHA BLS Instructor, candidates must complete the online portion, followed by the hands-on session, which is classroom based. The online portion of the course contains both core content and discipline-specific modules to prepare the instructor candidates for the hands-on session. In the classroom, our Faculty will continue preparing instructor candidates to become AHA instructors by focusing on the in-depth material about the Heartsaver and BLS disciplines that candidates will be teaching. The hands-on session includes instruction, practice, and an exam, allowing instructor candidates to successfully use their instructor materials and skills. As a BLS Instructor, candidates will also be able to teach the following courses:
- BLS- Basic Life Support (for Healthcare Providers)
- Heartsaver First Aid CPR AED
- Heartsaver CPR AED
- Heartsaver First Aid
- Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid CPR AED
Who Can Take This Course
The BLS Instructor Essentials Course is for instructor candidates who have already successfully completed the BLS Provider Course.
Prerequisites for Instructor Candidates
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have a current American Heart Association BLS Provider course completion card (no other BLS certifications will be accepted)
- Be proficient in the skills of BLS
- Complete the BLS Instructor Essentials Online
- Be aligned with an American Heart Association Training Center
Steps to Become an Instructor
- Be accepted by a AHA Training Center by enrolling in an Instructor Course and completing an Instructor Candidate Application with that Training Center.
- Have current AHA Provider status in the discipline for that Instructor Essentials course and be proficient in all the skills of that discipline.
- Successfully complete the Instructor Essentials Course, including both the online and hands-on session
- Successfully be monitored teaching within 6 months of completing the hands-on session of the Instructor Essentials course.